- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup malted barley flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 ¼ cups warm water (about 110°F)
- 2 tbsp honey or molasses (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, malted barley flour, and salt.
- Add the active dry yeast and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the warm water and honey or molasses until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap. Let it rise in a warm place for about an hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Punch down the dough and shape it into a loaf. Place the loaf into a greased baking pan or onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Allow the bread to cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
By using malted barley flour in your bread recipe, you will add a nutty, slightly sweet flavor to your bread. Plus, you’ll also be adding extra fiber and nutrients to your diet.